From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2012 13:04:00 -0500
Linda,

There are several factors that may each be contributing to your
reception problem. Some are simple to explained, others not so easy,
but here goes. Most of this really applies to any radio and indoor
antenna, but the hand held is our focus for now.

First, regardless of the length of the antenna, both the receiving and
transmitting pattern of any hand held radio is affected by its
surroundings. These surroundings include, but are not limited to
buildings, walls, large metal objects, even people standing near the
antenna. This is one reason why reception will change as you walk
through your house with the radio, and even as you face in different
directions within a given room. My favorite example of this phenomenon
happened when I gave a friend one of those FM broadcast band dipole
antennas that was made from what we used to call "TV wire". He was
trying to hear an Album Rock station in stereo, but needed a better
antenna. When I saw him the next week, he said he hung the antenna in
his window curtains, and it worked very well with only one problem.
Even with that antenna, he could only hear the station when the
refrigerator door was open. Stuff like that happens with indoor
antennas, and it is unavoidable.

So, other than standing in front of the refrigerator with the door
open, here are a few ideas.

Try using a magnetic mount mobile antenna sitting on top of a file
cabinet, the refrigerator, washer, drier, or on an upside down metal
pan or coffee can. The last two options will allow you to move the
antenna around more easily if needed.

You can also try a J Pole antenna hanging in a window, or from a
convenient place. Most J Poles are not duo band, however.

Before you go out and buy either of these possibilities, try to find a
local who will bring one over to be sure it will do what you need.

If you can put the antenna on a balcony, or in the attic, then you
will notice a really big improvement. But, if you can't do that, you
will still get better results even indoors with the above mentioned
antenna options than with something mounted directly on the radio.

One problem that you can't do much about is any signal blockage caused
by most of your building being between you and the repeater. If, for
instance, your only available window faces north, any antenna placed
in or near that window isn't going to do much toward the south. This
statement is more true for 2 meters than for 440. It is also one
reason why a window is not always the best location for the antenna.
Sometimes, they perform better for specific repeaters or directions if
placed in the middle of the room, or in some other place that is more
or less out of the way and doesn't give your interior decorator a
nervous breakdown.

The quick solution for now is to try the radio from various locations
within your house. You may indeed find that you need to talk over
repeater A from the kitchen, Repeater B from the bedroom, and repeater
C only when outside.

I hope this helps a little, if only to let you know what is going on
with the signals.

Mike Duke, K5XU