From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:05:09 -0500
Harry Brown writes:
> So are you a Mac user?

Yes and also a Linux user. The best GUI for Linux is Orca but I
have not yet gotten it to run on anything I have but it works
well for people whose hardware cooperates.

> You mentioned you didn't use windows, so that's why I asked.
> Well folks, Windows 8 looks very much like Narater will be the best it's =
> ever been, in its usefulness!
> It will have 59 commands.
> If that turns out to be the case, and it does what blind windows users =
> want to do, then, we'll finally have an out of the box screen reader =
> built into Windows!

	I truly hope this turns out to be the case as this is
finally the way things should be.

	Since this is an amateur radio list, I will put in a
shameless plug for unix in that unix, which includes the
Macintosh, has features under the hood which are helpful to
those who like to experiment with things interesting to radio
amateurs. It is easy to play and record audio and Linux systems
come with the gcc compiler plus a host of other programming
tools if you want to write your own applications and every bit
of this stuff is 100% accessible.

	Macintosh's while being unix systems are commercial
platforms so development tools are not just on there for free
like they are in Linux, but you can get them. It seems like
commercial systems are always a little more hassle as everybody
wants their cut of the action.

	A lot of really good software is free of charge in the
Linux world and to a slightly lesser extent the Mac world. There
are a number of amateur radio applications for the Mac that are
either free or reasonable but I can't vouch for their
accessibility.

	If the Windows8 narator turns out to be a grown-up
screen reader, it will allow us to explore new worlds in amateur
radio and many other things.

73 WB5AGZ