From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:35:59 -0500
Hi everyone,
The Smith-Kettlewell Technical file has great info for you. If you go
through their lessons, you will learn the techniques that'll start you with
a good grounding. Bill Gerey, wa6npc, Tom Fowle ?6ivg and Jay Williams
(don't think he ever got licensed) contributed to these articles. They were
all at the Smith-Kettlewell Eye research Center in San Francisco. I was
given the opportunity to spend a number of weeks there learning how to
solder and do basic electronic assembly, and just hang out with some very
inspiring blind guys. They used the techniques they write about to design,
build and test adaptive, useful equipment whose design was released into the
public domain after the development work was complete. there are some great
projects in the Technical File, such as an audio continuity tester, audio
capacitance checker, toy train whistle (electronic, cool sounding), audio
oscilloscope and a whole lot more that I can't remember.

I believe bill Gerey and Tom Fowle are still at Smith-Kettlewell.
73

Ron Miller