From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:48:00 -0500
You should get your player out of storage and test it.  It should work on AC
power, but it might not run on battery anymore.

While the player is unplugged, its NiMH battery self-discharges; a process
that goes faster if the player is stored in a warmer place.  In addition,
the gas gauge chip is permanently connected to the battery pack, and it,
too, draws a small amount of current, a few microamperes.  These factors add
up.  Early instructions to libraries said that if a player was going to be
stored for more than a few months, the battery should be disconnected.  For
this nominal 7.5-volt pack, if the total voltage falls below a value like 3
volts (I don't remember the exact number right now), the gas gauge chip will
inhibit charge until the voltage goes higher than that value.  The early
players will thus get into a state where they cannot recharge their own
battery packs.  You will find similar advice about disconnecting the battery
for modern BrailleNotes and many other devices, for various reasons.  In the
case of the notetakers, they don't fully shut down when you flip the power
switch to Off, and run their batteries down that way.

I saw these instructions and knew that library people were unlikely to
follow them, and that consumers might not get their players plugged in as
soon as they received them.  I realized that if we could put a diode and
resistor between the 5-volt regulated bus and the positive terminal of the
battery, we could over a period of several minutes bypass the charging
circuit and trickle-charge the battery up to a high enough voltage that the
gas gauge chip would signal for a recharge, at any time that AC power was
connected.

After several months of testing at NLS and at the factory, this circuit
board modification was made.  I don't remember the exact serial numbers,
either, but after about 24,000 advanced players and 70 or 80 thousand
standard players, the revised circuit board is used in all production.
Since this is surface-mount technology, partially assembled by robotic
devices, it's not practical to add these components to an existing circuit
board.  We advise librarians to pull the battery from the old player, put it
in a newer one which has the trickle-charge modification, allow it to charge
the battery, then put it back in the old player with a setting that tells
the processor that a full battery has been inserted.

Very few battery packs have gone bad so far, but this behavior is part of
the reason why library technicians may tell you that there have been some
battery problems with the NLS player.

If anyone needs a replacement NLS player of either type, it should be easy
to get one from your network library.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls