From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:21:38 -0500
It's very hard to know what happened.  Especially if the power cord was
extended, acting as an antenna, it's conceivable that the player suffered
from electrostatic discharge.  There are 20 chips, most of them CMOS, on the
player's 2 by 3 inch circuit board, and great pains were taken to make the
design power-efficient.  Players are tested for ESD during qualification,
but we don't know what the field strength was at the instant of the
lightning strike.

There is a gas gauge chip in the player which monitors the ambient
temperature, the battery voltage, and the amount of amper-hours which have
been put into and taken out of the battery pack.  In addition, there is a
thermistor inside the battery pack which is deliberately set up to
temporarily halt charging when the pack temperature gets above about 55
degrees C.  Typically when this happens, if you wait 45 minutes or so, the
battery will cool down and charging will resume for a few minutes.  But the
player will not over-charge the battery pack; it only goes through this
cycle a couple of times.

Of the 400,000 players which have been manufactured, only a few hundred have
had to go back to Shinano-Kenshi for warranty repair.  The failure rate is
astoundingly low, so far.

More in another message.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls