From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:25:17 -0600
Linda,

Years ago, there used to be a Novice license.  I don't think there is one
any more.  The Novice was the lowest class of license, therefore, offered
the least operating privileges, frequencies,modes  and bands to use.

Also the Novice class was only good for two years and was not renewable,
therefore if you wanted to remain on the air you had to upgrade to at least
the Technician class to get a renewable license.

Later, the Novice, I believe, was renewable and it was not necessary to
upgrade if you didn't want.  Today, I believe the Technician class basically
has the old Novice privileges plus a little more.  Since there may still be
some Novice holders out there, that is why you see it on a band plan.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

73's

Howard, W A 9 Y B W