From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:16:38 -0500
Hi List,

I thought I would chime in and really stir the pot. I have always had a
problem with contests.  Let me explain my position.

[I can't quote the exact portions of part 97 for these items, but they are
quite evident.  I have never heard them disputed at all.]
1.  The FCC rules plainly state that you should not ever make communications
where you knowingly interfere with other stations.
2.  The rules also state that you should always use the minimum amount of
power necessary for clear communications.
3.  Yet, week after week, year after year, thousand (maybe tens of
thousands) of hams violate these rules during contests.
A.  Many of them run near the maximum amount of power necessary for any type
of communication: large amplifiers with high ERP antennas.
B.  Although some may argue that the operators are not deliberately
interfering with other contesters, this is at best a naive argument.  Anyone
who has listened to contests even a few times will hear the pile-ups that
occur with distant or important DX/point stations.  Simply saying that you
don't intend to interfere is in my mind like the drunk saying he didn't mean
to kill your 2 year old child when he ran over the curb smashed on booze;
it's the same rationale.  Using large amplifiers, high ERP antennas and so
on is absolute proof that the people are trying to 'cover up/drown out'
others and score as many points as they can regardless of who they 'step
on.'
C.  Why this tradition has become so well excepted in the light of the
obvious and is supported by the 'ham radio establishment' never ceases to
amaze me--since people like myself, while operating low power, simplex on 2
meters, are often castigated for joking and satirical humor by 'the old
guard' who say it's in violation of the 'spirit' of ham radio.

As I see it contesting in and of itself promotes some of the worst practices
of ham radio so when new comers join the hobby, if they want to be 'cool'
they receive the message from 'the ham radio establishment' that at least
when it comes to contesting: bigger is always better; the more power the
better; outscore the other guy/club at any and all costs; and devil take the
hind most if it comes to it.  But all in all, the tradition of contesting
will probably not die any time soon--despite its obvious plethora of
contradictions.