From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2012 20:56:55 -0600
While the primary objective is to get the center of the antenna as
high as possible, keeping the ends as high as possible is also a good
practice.

It is true that the ends of a dipole can be relatively low as compared
to the center, thus creating the so called inverted V configuration.

But the general rule of thumb is that the more horizontally flat the
antenna, the better it will play. This is especially true for the
G5RV, and for off center fed antennas such as the Carolina Windom.

The Radio Works product catalog, which is readable online at
radioworks.com, has a good explanation of why this is true for the
Carolina Windom, and thus for any other off center fed dipole.

That said, however, we all tend to squeeze our antennas into whatever
configuration will best fit into our spacial restrictions.

So, get the center as high as possible, keep the angle between the two
halves of the antenna at least at 90 degrees or as much above 90
degrees as possible, and anchor the ends accordingly.

Mike Duke, K5XU