Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:36:22 -0500
Congrats, Troy,

I am really enjoying my 590.  But, the TS-2000 is almost as accessible, is a
bit cheaper, and has all modes on HF, 2 meter, and 440 MHz; and you can get
a module for 1296MHz.  This would let you work 2 and 440 FM including
repeaters, as well as satellite.

Unlike the 590, there are a few parts that don't speak, such as setting the
sub-audible tones.

For an HF rig, the 590 in terms of accessibility and a nice hot receiver
can't be beat.

As far as Vhf/Uhf handi-talkies, the Wouxun is accessible although the key
layout and programming is a bit counterintuitive.