From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:36:55 -0600
Linda,
To my knowledge any handheld transceiver is smart enough to know not
to transmit out of band.  My Kenwood THF6a will beep if I have
programmed in a out of band frequency but won't transmit.  And the
same is true for a mobile transceiver.  The advantage to a mobile rig
for home is that eventually you could put an antenna outside and have
a much more effective transmit/receive situation than with a handheld.
Ask away and you'll get all sorts of answers here.  There will be a
variety and none of them will be the only way but you will get a
wonderful cross section of opinions.