From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:32:01 -0700
canada switched to metric, on a national level sometime in the 70's I think.
I, of course, used all metric measurements in school and was perfectly fine
with that.  However, growing up in a household where my mom and dad still
used standard measurements in everyday speech and usage, I am also equally
comfortable with that method.
In fact, I still struggle with conversions because most people my age still
use standard terms in everyday speech...mostly.
Except when it comes to speed measurements and official measurements of
height and perhaps Ski or snowboard lengths.
All the rest is in standard...how many miles to the gallon does your vehicle
get?  how many feet is that, how many inches is that...unlike the europeans
who pretty much use metric exclusively in everyday speech...
We travel at 120 kilometers per hour, but we get 28 miles to the gallon
while we're doing 120KPH lol.
And that kind of terminology and speech is perfectly normal, common and
acceptible here.
Half wave on the 20 meter band is 16.5 feet...same kind of thing.
The canadian football league still uses yards and not meters.
You could quite easily say I'm 192 pounds, and 2.1 meters tall.
not that I'm either of those, but that's the point.

73
Colin, V A6BS