From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:24:46 -0500
Butch,

I wouldn't have tried that because I'd be afraid of damaging the supply.
Nevertheless, it's hard to argue with 40 years of success.

Since I have an ohm meter I can use, I attach the ground lead of the meter
to some metal on the case of the radio, and then touch each of the power
leads with the meter's probe.  One of them gives me a reading of 0, and I
know that one is ground.  This technique has never failed me, and I like the
idea that nothing has to be "live" for the test.  Of course, I'm assuming a
negative ground, which is pretty much always the case these days.

Steve