VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2013 10:40:43 -0700
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi all,

I'm not sure where to ask this question, so I figured I'd start here.
The basic question is this:

What do programmers need to do for a screen reader to detect the
language being used?

A group of blind interpreters and translators is working with a
developer to make a computer assisted tool accessible. This type of
software is a standard piece of equipment in the translation industry.
In a nutshell, the software breaks the document into segments (usually
sentences) so the translator can work with one segment at a time in a
way that makes comparing the original sentence with the translation
fairly easy. The software also remembers how segments were translated so
it can show the translator similar segments as they come up in the same
or future projects. In theory, all this makes life simpler for the
translator, but that's another discussion for another day.

Anyway, the product is now actually very accessible, but one problem
we're still having is that everything in the software is pronounced in
one language. We would like for the content of the translation pane to
be pronounced in a different language. When communicating with the
developer, who has been extremely receptive, we've mentioned language
tags, but he says this is not possible. So we're not sure what to
suggest or where to direct him.

People on the list use different screen readers, so the solution needs
to be about doing something in the software that tells the screen reader
how to pronounce text, not the development of scripts or set files. The
developer says he's tried communicating with screen reader companies but
hasn't had great success.

So how can we help him help us with this?

Ana

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]