Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:51:45 -0600

Of course, there are a number of problems with the information I received
from my state insurance ombudsman and Secretary Sebelius's office. Many
states don't provide food assistance to its Medicaid recipients, and
there's a totally different procedure to get Medicare to cover GF food
costs.

In order to get CMS (Medicare) to cover treatment (GF food) for celiac
disease or gluten sensitivity, physicians have to contact Medicare by
letter or phone (they have the phone number) and tell Medicare that they
want the cost of GF food covered for those who require it as treatment. I
think most retirement homes are trying to accommodate celiacs with a
physician's prescription, but not all of them will because the food is so
expensive and they have budgets, too.

I called my state's insurance ombudsman to ask about another issue and
mentioned that I'd heard from Secretary Sebelius's office. She was very
impressed, saying that no one she knew who had contacted HHS for any reason
had gotten any type of response. I don't know Secretary Sebelius, so that
wasn't it. I did, however, write a professional, yet personal letter,
outlining just how expensive our food is and told her what I wanted her to
try to do. I would suggest those who can write or have someone who can help
you write a letter to Secretary Sebelius, it can only help. If you need an
address/fax number, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Lastly, the state ombudsman suggested that if people have a chapter of
Autism Speaks, we should contact them. Autism Speaks has an incredibly
strong organization with a number of programs. And one of our celiac
organizations has partnered with them. AS may be willing to lobby on our
behalf - though I'm not saying they will or that they will help us at all;
I'm only passing on ways for us to become recognized and perhaps getting
help for our low income patients.

I wish there was better news about getting help with the cost of our GF
food, but not yet. We do have some steps we can take, like asking our docs
to call Medicare. Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas

--

*We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace...* Millen