From:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:58:53 -0400

Hello List Mates,
This morning the FDA issued a press release expressing concerns over the amount of arsenic in rice. They said consumer groups are pressuring the Food and Drug Administration to set federal guidance on allowable levels of arsenic in rice, prompting the agency to study the issue and consider possible new standards. Because much of our gluten-free choices are rice based, I think the gluten-free consumer will be taking a close look at the FDA concerns. You can read the entire release here: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/consumer&id=8816152

One FDA commissioner commented: ""Our advice right now is that consumers should continue to eat a balanced diet that includes a wide variety of grains - not only for good nutrition but also to minimize any potential consequences from consuming any one particular food," she said."

My advice of course....eat more gluten-free oats!

Deb Wheaton
www.notevenarcumb.com
"Raising Awareness, One Crumb at a Time"