From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 13:11:58 -0700
In the late sixties, 15 meters was my favorite band.  I ran a Drake TR4 and it had no RIT control.  There were tons of Russians and Cubans on 15 meters with chirp up the ying yang.  The problem with the Russians especially, was drift along with the chirp.  I'd follow them up, or down, the band, and then put my VFO back to where I had originally transmitted when it was my turn to reply.  I, too, heard someone on 12 or 10 meters, I forget which now, chirping and even drift around a few weeks ago.  It did my heart good to know they were still around.  I can't recall the last Russian I heard chirping and drifting so times sure have changed.  CO2BB used to be the main active Cuban on 15 and I worked him dozens of times.  Their 220 volts supplied by the government was very bad and it drifted up and down from 150 volts to 250 volts so that didn't help their rigs any either.

Phil.
K0NX