From:
Peter Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:14:14 +1030
I can't find the study that I was talking about and I'm not willing to spend hours searching through PubMed, but the gist of the article wasn't that cooking will degrade some nutrients (which no-one is arguing with), it was that once cooked, the body can better absorb the nutrients.  Point being, for example, you will get equal or more nutrients from steamed carrots than raw as the cooking process will start to break down to the food and make the nutrients more bio-available.

" Please post a link to that study so we can tear it to bits and step on the pieces."

William, your comment above also make me see little point in putting any articles up, as you obviously have no intention of reading anything with an open mind.  Anyone with a scientific mind is always open to the fact that they can be wrong, your comments don’t suggest that.

" Then your digestion must transform cooked back into raw so it can be used by your raw body."

Please confirm this with some references, because I believe that is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time.  The body breaks down whatever food you put in it.  It does not, by magic, transform cooked food back into raw food.  And adding in the fact that that our bodies are raw(?).  What does that even mean?  Nowhere in any of the bio-chem books that I, or my partner, who is a molecular biologist who teaches this stuff, does it mention cooked-to-raw-food-transformation processes.

Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques"
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

"Effect of frying, grilling, and steaming on amino acid composition of marine fishes."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20874243

"Nutrient losses and gains during frying: a review."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9713586

"Effect of processing on the antioxidant activity of amaranth grain"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20677457

Regards

Peter Maxwell