From:
David thurmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:03:40 -0500
All,

I just purchased a Wouxun KG-UV6D HT from http://www.wouxun.us/ last
week.  I was inspired by Buddy Brannan's eyes-free guide to operating
the Wouxun radios.  I got the radio on Thursday and was able to
program in repeaters by Friday morning, thanks to the guide.
Unfortunately, they did change a couple of menus (menu 23 in the guide
corresponds to menu 24 on the 6D, which is the standard repeater
offset, a rather important one!) which is why it took me more than 15
minutes to get this little jewel up and running.

I am still experimenting, of course, but so far, I am super pleased
with this radio!  It is very accessible, although not 100% so.  Still,
I think that I will be able to make this radio do whatever I wish
without any sighted assistance, which is a real pleasure.  The KG-UV6D
has only 5 watts max power, and all I have at the moment is the rubber
duck that came with the HT, yet I was still able to easily hit
repeaters 20-30 miles distant.

The only drawback is that the radio has a non-standard antenna
connector, so I am going to have to buy an adaptor to go from the
Wouxun connector to something more standard, like an SMA or PL-259
when I build a real antenna for it.  But this is a very small price to
pay!

I highly recommend this radio for anyone who is hoping to get started
on 2 meters and/or 70 cm and doesn't want to break the bank.  And,
Buddy, if you still want contributors to the guide, I will gladly do
so once I have a moment to go through all of the menus to see what the
differences are between the 6D and other models.

73,

David Thurmond, KK4ADV