From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:06:12 -0500
Barb,

I've been using Carbonite for a couple of years now, and I highly recommend
it.  Once you install the software, it runs quietly in the background
checking your files to see which ones have changed, and hence, which ones it
needs to back up.  When you right-click on a file, an additional option of
"Carbonite Submenu" shows up.  Within that submenu, you can tell Carbonite
to back up the file if it isn't already being backed up, or to stop backing
it up if you no longer want to do so.  You also have the option to go to the
Carbonite Website where you have other choices, such as managing your
account, restoring your files to another computer, etc.

Some time ago, the hard drive on this computer failed, which would have been
a disaster if I hadn't been using Carbonite.  Once I got my computer back
from the shop, I went to Carbonite's Website, logged into my account,
reinstalled the software, and started the restore process.  It took about a
day, but all my important files were populated back onto my computer just as
if I were still using that old failed hard drive.  I haven't tried this, but
I could have restored all my files to another machine if I had wanted to.
Since this computer is used for my business as well as my personal data, I'm
very glad I was using Carbonite.  What could have been extremely traumatic
turned out to be an almost painless experience.  As far as I'm concerned,
the five bucks per month I pay is well worth the price for a "set it and
forget it" backup solution.

Steve