From:
Doug Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:52:57 -0800
Hello,

This is just a quick follow up. I spent a little time evaluating three
popular programming and control packages for this line of scanners: Arc500
(trial version included with radio), win500,and PSREdit 500.

I found PSREdit to be the most accessible of the three packages. I was able
to program all object types (conventional frequencies, trunked systems,
talkgroups, etc.). I could  even program all the attributes for these
objects, including delay, CTCSS/DCS,scanlist memberships etc. I need to
spend more time controlling the radiowith this software, but I don't expect
to run  into any problems.

Using the other two packages, I was able to program conventional frequencies
into the scanner, but ran into problems setting object attributes or
creating more complex objects. Many of the fields didn't seem to be
accessible to JAWS.

The rig control feature of win500 worked well. The user interface included
buttons for each physical button on the radio. All buttons were labeled  and
accessible by pressing TAB or Ctrl+Tab. It would have been nice to have
keyboard shortcuts for these buttons. One particularly nice feature was the
virtual LCD display. I was able to read frequency, channel, and other
information while the radio was busy.

so, I think PSREdit works very well for programming these scanners. Win500
does a credible job of rig control. I'm eager to see how accessible the rig
control features of PSREdit are.

Thanks,

--Doug, AC7T