From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2012 17:23:27 -0400

The Wall Street Journal ran an article recently, "Gluten Danger Puts
Schools to the Test" on Thursday, August 2, 2012, page A6.
I do not have a link for it because we get the paper edition of the
paper, but those of you with college students may want to look it up at
the library or go to the WSJ
website.

Among the interesting facts cited is that Penn State has set aside an
area of the dining hall with separate toaster and refrigerator. Students
can get gluten free pasta and bagels.  They will also add additional
gluten free areas this coming fall.

The University of CA at LA requires studetns seeking gluten free foods
to provide medical documentation to get a keycard for a gluten free
pantry they opened in January.

Boston University liits but provides access by swipe ID to a gluten free
pantry for affected students.  They are planning a gluten free eatery
this coming fall.

Also cited was the University of NH, Durham which has 60 students gluten
free.

There was a discussion of the cost of gluten free products, and gave the
example that a typical brownie costs 11cents, but a gluten free wrapped
brownie costs 85 cents.

I hope this will be helpful to those of you with college students. After
investigating several colleges which required you to live in the dorm
and eat in the dining hall, and did not permit off campus housing under
22 or 23, we decided that would not work because of the additional work
of shopping, cooking, housekeeping, even if she were allowed to do it.
We got around this by our daughter being  a commuting student.  She will
graduate in December.

Paula in PA

*******
*******