From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:02:51 -0500

First post:
I used this recipe below recently.  The cookies were sold at craft fairs and held up really well.  Make sure that you roll them out thick enough/1/4"
2 cups butter (4 sticks, room temp)
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups all purpose gf flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (omit if butter is salted)
Gently mix butter and sugar, then beat until light and creamy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Gently stir flour before measuring.  Combine dry ingredients and add a cup at a time to butter mixture.  Beat until completely blended.  Roll cookie dough between two sheets of parchment paper.  Use a rolling pin with spacer rings (I didn't) to get perfect 1/4 inch thick layers.  Place stacks of rolled dough on cookie sheets, separated by parchment paper on a cookie sheet that fits your refrigerator or freezer).  Cover cookie sheet and chill dough overnight or 1-2 hours.  Remove one sheet at a time and cut into shapes.  Bake on baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to slightly brown.  Yields at least 2 dozen, 4-6 inch cookies.

Another post: There is a sugar cookie recipe in "Gluten Free Gourmet bakes dessert" that will probably do the trick.  They're not exactly like regular sugar cookies but the cookies are not crumbly.

Another post:  Linda, you may want to try Organic Palm Oil in them, it will really keep them moist.  This substitutes cup for cup with butter or margarine.  You can find it in health food stores and it is made by Spectrum and it is in a blue tub, they call it "Vegetable Shortening" but the only ingredient in it is Organic Palm Oil.

Another post:  This is not your typical "rolled sugar cookie" recipe, but I used this, rolled it into balls as described, and then flattened the balls on the cookie sheet before baking, and they came out nicely flat and perfect for decorating -- it was SOOOOO much easier! I also added a touch of cinnamon, and honestly, these were the best sugar cookies I've ever had, and everyone else said the same. Found it on heythattastesgood.com:
Sugar cookies
From Cook's Illustrated nov/dec 2010
2 1 / 4 c rice flour mix
1 / 2 t xanthan gum
1 / 2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 / 2 t salt
1 c sugar
1 / 2 c brown sugar
2 oz cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
6 T butter, melted (still warm)
1 / 3 c vegetable oil
1 egg
1 T milk (I used eggnog!)
2 t vanilla
sugar for rolling the cookies in

Preheat the oven to 350. Whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Combine sugars in another bowl, then add cream cheese. Pour the butter over, and stir until combined. Add oil, stir, then add egg, milk, and vanilla. Stir this into the flour mixture until combined. Chill the dough 10 minutes, then scoop small balls onto a plate covered with sugar. Roll gently in the sugar, then place on a cookie sheet, about a dozen per sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, until just starting to brown on the edges, then cool 5 minutes on the pan before removing them to a wire rack. Makes about three dozen, depending on how big you make them.

Another post: SillyYaks Recipe - GF Roll Out Sugar Cookies shared by Melonie (by way of Susan Jarrold of San Diego ROCK) on November 7, 2004
Here is the awesome sugar cookie recipe that I mentioned.  (For those of you who were following the story of one of our local ROCK moms here in Northern Virginia, who was trying to find a GF sugar cookie to use for her son's school... the elementary school was having the students make a cookie in the shape of Virginia and having them decorate it as part of some required class project....... she used this recipe as well.)
SillyYaks note: Do not use those air-insulated cookie sheets/pans.  If you do not have a baking stone, use regular single layer cookie sheets and the recipe will work just fine.~Melonie :)

ROLL-OUT GLUTEN-FREE SUGAR COOKIES -  Great for Large Cookie Cutters
(recipe was given to me by Susan Jarrold – leader of San Diego R.O.C.K. Chapter)
4 C. Sifted Flour (3 C. White Rice Flour, 2 tsp. Xanthum Gum, 1 / 8 C. Potato Starch, & almost 1 more C. of White Rice Flour)
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Egg
.5 tsp. Salt
1 C. Butter (can use margarine, but butter works best)
1.5 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
.5 C. Sour Cream
1 / 8 tsp. Nutmeg (optional)

Sift first three ingredients together (Flour Baking Soda, Salt, Potato Starch ingredients)
Beat Butter, Egg, & Sugar until light & fluffy.  Beat in the Vanilla, Sour Cream & Nutmeg.
Gradually add Flour Mixture to this mixture.
Put in refrigerator for 1 hour OR overnight.
Roll out to 1/8” thickness.  (May need to add more rice flour if dough seems too sticky).  (HINT:  cover rolling pin with wax paper & rolling will be easier).
Bake on a stone dish at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Icing Recipe for Large RollOut Sugar Cookies or Cake (Susan Jarrold – San Diego R.O.C.K. Chapter)
1 C. Crisco shortening
1 box Powdered Sugar
4 T. Water
1 tsp. Vanilla
(If you want to color it, slowly add a few drops of food coloring while mixing  until desired color is reached)

*******
*******