Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:16:56 -0400

My family just returned from the Keys, and we found some great GF options.

We stayed at Hawk's Cay on Duck Key (near Marathon).  The staff was very accommodating.  Vincent Walton, the General Manager of Restaurants for the resort, emailed me a list of contact people (managers, chefs) for each restaurant.  He was knowledgeable about cross contamination, and I did not have any problems when I ate at the resort's restaurants.  It was more expensive, but I enjoyed some really great meals!  Our room also had a full kitchen, which enabled us to prepare our own meals, too.

Natalie, President of Gluten Free South Florida, sent me a long list of potential eateries.  From her list, we ate at Morada Bay in Islamorada for lunch (highly recommend!, beautiful). and the Sunset Grille in Marathon (another great choice; the manager told me they steamed their vegetables over the pasta, but that she would make sure that mine were prepared in a separate pan).  Neither place had a GF menu, but the staff directed me to safe foods.

In Key West, we tried La Croissant (they advertised a GF menu online).  After eating there, however, I looked pregnant, literally, and did not feel well.  I would not recommend this restaurant.  My husband peeked in the kitchen on the way out, and there was French bread everywhere.

One person who recently visited the Keys also recommended the Green Gables Cafe in Coral Gables, not far from the Miami Airport.

The Keys is great for fresh seafood.  I think there are a lot of international travelers there, too, so the restaurants seemed more aware of GF needs and the risk of cross contamination. Have fun!!  Toni