From:
Tina Turbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tina Turbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 01:59:10 -0400

Here are the replies of the responses to my inquiry about Atrial fibrillation and celiac disease:

I was diagnosed with CD 13 years ago. Developed A-fib about 8 years ago. Have had 2 heart ablations, about 3 years apart. It is much better now, but I still get the irregular heartbeat at times.  I'm just hoping it doesn't build back up again. I'm one that feels the A-fib right away
__
There are several studies that indicate a link between AF and CD.  However, look at this one, just released in June from the European Heart Journal.   This group suggests that inflammation is occuring and, as Dr. O'Bryan always says:  heal the gut, heal the gut.....

Increased risk of atrial fibrillation in patients with coeliac disease: a nationwide cohort study.Eur Heart J. 2011 Jun 8.
"Conclusions Atrial fibrillation is more common both before and after CD diagnosis in patients with CD though the excess risk is small. Potential explanations for the increased risk of AF in CD include chronic inflammation and shared risk factors....."
____
I don't have literature on the subject, but just can say that it was one
more condition that appeared before diagnosis of CD, and then cleared up
after going on the GF diet. Thank goodness! It required hospitalization and
three medications to control at first... and then just  a dietary change. I
wonder how many other things clear up with just that?!
___
I can probably help you with some of your questions as I have Afib which is now being controlled because of surgeries and diet.

WHat you need to understand about Afib is we each have specific "triggers" which set it off.  That's why its difficult to doctors to address because there are many causes.

I have had AFib for more than 20 years.  My current cardiologist was the one who pointed me in the right direction and while I don't understand completely everything that goes on in my body, I know more today about Afib than most doctors.

Two specific triggers seem to be the sources for setting me off personally (and I know of others via the Internet that this occurs with also).

Due to genetics, my body doesn't process electrolytes as it should, specifically Magnesium; therefore, my heart is constantly starved for Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium.  Without these electrolytes, my heart becomes very aggitated and more likely to have irregular heart beats such as PAC's, PVC's, and Afib. So, daily I resupply my electrolytes and can recognize how it calms the heart, lowering the heart rate and causing it to be regular.

Also, more recently, through an alternative medicine practioner, I learned that I am gluten intolerance - not specifically Celiac, but do have one Celiac gene.  I also have an autoimmune condition which is inherited where, instead of the immune system attacking the bug/virus 100% - it attacks the thyroid also.  When it attacks the thyroid, the thyroid goes hyperthyroid setting off the heart causing it increase in rate and become irregular.

What all Afibbers have in common is we all have faulty electrical systems.  While I don't fully understand completely the why or how of the above, I have managed to get the beast under control with surgery, and so far, keep it under control by monitoring my heart rate 1-2 per day and actively intervene with either supplements or rate control prescriptions when necessary, such as an exposure to gluten, or when I am coming down with a cold virus, etc.

I highly recommend this website, Tina.  www.afibbers.com
You do not have to pay to enter the website if you go down to the third paragraph and click on LAF Forum Bulletin Board.
There are people in this group who know a lot about keeping Afib under control and are also gluten intolerant.  When you get into the discussion groups, select "General Health Forum" and check it out.  Also, visit the "Afib Database" tons of information in there.  And, of course, feel free to place your questions out there.

TIna, hope this helps.  I live a full, active life; more active than I was while suffering from Afib, but "controlled" Afib is far more realistic than "cured" Afib.
_--
Yes, I've had issues with it several times. My take is that it is related to Vitamin C. They have found that when they gave Vit C to people before heart surgery, it cut the rate of afib by 85%. The last episode I got, stopped when I took Vit C.

I get arrhythmia quite a bit, and have all my life. I found by taking a big slug of B and C in the morning, I don't get them. Also I avoid the sun, which seems to trigger them. But the sun on your skin makes you use up Vit C also. Raw garlic seems to help too.

The problem with this is that the first thing they do when a person gets afib, is make them take warfarin. Then they tell you that Vit C interferes with warfarin, so people take NO vitamin C. So they are pretty much guaranteed to get afib again. And it's likely that the people who get afib have some kind of issue either absorbing Vit C or use too much or fit, or just don't get enough of it (humans can't produce it).

The actual trigger for afib is inflammation, it seems, which is what Vit C helps prevent. In Europe they use prednisone to treat it, which makes sense. Any anti-inflammatory might help though?
_____
Having celiac disease has nothing to do with whether you develop A Fib.
____
Tina, my Afib presented itself more than 20 years ago.  My doctor told me when I felt the quivering in my chest to get a EKG.  I did and it was diagnosed.  Through the years I was placed on every anti-arrhythmia medication known to man!  Nothing worked!  I progressed from infrequent, to intermittent, and then to persistent or continuous; however, medical records do not indicate the dates for this progression.  When in persistent, I really did have any symptoms like you do when it's infrequent.  I only know that doctors never found me in rhythm in an office visit.  Through the years, I just lost exercise tolerance - happiest sitting behind a desk/computer but never fully understood why.
I highly recommend you get yourself a Pulsemeter (e-bay) is fine.  You place it on the end of your finger and it registers oxygen levels and pulse rate.  Also, a modest $30 stethoscope is helpful too.  With these you can determine if you are in rythmn or out.  If you are going in and out, you might want to document the frequency. Once you have these, I can help you with learning how to use them.
____
http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research%3A-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders/Heart-Failure-and-Celiac-Disease/
____
I highly recommend this website, Tina.  www.afibbers.com
You do not have to pay to enter the website if you go down to the third paragraph and click on LAF Forum Bulletin Board.
There are people in this group who know a lot about keeping Afib under control and are also gluten intolerant.  When you get into the discussion groups, select "General Health Forum" and check it out.  Also, visit the "Afib Database" tons of information in there.  And, of course, feel free to place your questions out there.

TIna, hope this helps.  I live a full, active life; more active than I was while suffering from Afib, but "controlled" Afib is far more realistic than "cured" Afib.

Tina Turbin
www.TinaTurbin.com
www.DannyTheDragon.com
Nominee for Best Children's Picture Book 2009
National Indie Excellence Awards Finalist -Children's Picture Book 2010
Mom's Choice Awards 2010- Silver Recipient
Disney Media, Parent's Choice Award 2010
Creative Parenting Magazine, Best Multi Media Children's Materials 2011
Five Star Media, Best Illustrations Children's Picture Book- 2011
www.GlutenFreeHelp.info "My Other Undeniable Cause"
Voted #2 .Info Site In The World- 2010