IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 17:48:14 -0700
I heard standpoint theory referred to today and looked it up.  I'm
noting it here to add it to the mix of the Oxford conversations.

Feminist Standpoint Theory

Feminist standpoint theorists make three principal claims: (1)
Knowledge is socially situated. (2) Marginalized groups are socially
situated in ways that make it more possible for them to be aware of
things and ask questions than it is for the non-marginalized. (3)
Research, particularly that focused on power relations, should begin
with the lives of the marginalized.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/fem-stan/