BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:05:25 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hey Ralph! I'm doing great... lurking around BP as usual.

My sources on the roofing information were correct, and they were the
real deal... the one guy specialized in hand rolled metal roofing,
crimping and rolling by hand, that sort of thing. Worked on a lot of
the older buildings at Princeton... he knew his business. He didn't
have time to do the job, but he helped me put together the specs, so
that when we got our bids we were comparing apples to apples.

On the house I used to work in, when they put the original roof on,
they had a dude (*not* a roofing contractor) give them a low bid (like
you mentioned... historic society doing it on a shoestring) and he was
able to do the low bid because he didn't put enough shingles on the
roof. From what I remember the "dude" basically lapped the shingles so
they were essentially 2-plys of shingles on the house, and really the
reveal should have been a bit shorter, and the shingles lapped so you
get about a 3-layer depth. My maths may be off on the exact percentage
of shingles, but I think you get my drift. And the roof was pretty
catastrophic... we'd have daylight showing through the roof on hot
days. (It was kind of neat though... when it rained, the shingles would
absorb water and expand, and the whole thing would seal up tight. But
nonetheless... ) it was shorted on shingles, and we'd get catastrophic
holes with depressing regularity.

All the roofers I talked to said that they had seen variations on the
same issue over the years (whether intentionally or unintentially) on
shake roofs where the shingles were applied with a long reveal, and it
saved on materials costs since you didn't need  as many shingles to
finish the job. I've looked at enough shingle roofs in my life now to
know that the roofers I consulted were correct, and the original roof
was a bit thin on shingles. It was a testament to the materials that
they survived as long as they did.

When we re-shingled the roof, it was done correctly, with the proper
percentage of shingles, and it was better.

Ruth-- I had my slate roof re-done on my house a few years ago, so I've
dealt with slate a bit. Most of the slate roofs we have here in
Columbus aren't as nice as Vermont slate (lesser quality of PA slate
mostly used here) so we've had a lot of slate failure going on... not
that most of these roofs aren't 100 years old, and well, it's just time
to say when.

What exactly is the problem with the roof?