From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:38:12 -0600
Another mobile from the AM boat anchor era was the Mara Twins (may be
misspelled). Their mobile was also a 50 watt class rig with a 6146
final, and a matching separate receiver. They also made a larger base
station transmitter.

In addition to the G66/G77 mobile twins, Gonset also made the G76, a
transmitter and receiver in one box. It is often called a transceiver,
but the transmitter and receiver had separate tuning dials. As with
the other equipment mentioned, the power supply for either base or
mobile use was a separate box. I have a fully operational G76 on my
desk now, with a home brew power supply. Depending on the power supply
used, the output from the G76 is about 40 watts of carrier.

Gonset and Regency also made a line of mobile converters which turned
your AM car radio into a general coverage or ham band receiver.
Probably the most famous of these converters was the Gonset Super 6.
Elmac may have also made a converter, but I can't say that for
certain.

Sonar, the company which made lots of marine and CB equipment in the
1960's, also made one or two ham transmitters in the 50's. At least
one of these was a mobile rig. I've only heard one of them on the air,
and that was at least 30 years ago.

The GPR90 receiver was made for the military by the Technical
Materials Company. I have touched one, but it was not in use at the
time, so I haven't operated one. The GPR90 is apparently highly prized
among collectors.

The Collins look alike rigs someone asked about were probably the
Elnico twins, (again maybe misspelled.) I don't have specific model
numbers, but I have touched one of their transmitters once, for about
30 seconds. It was big and heavy, about the size of a Hallicrafter
HT37. The rigs from this company were early single sideband units, and
were around at about the same time as the Heath Kit Marauder, and the
Central Electronics transmitters.

For the new hams among us, imagine two large microwave ovens sitting
side by side on your operating desk. Now you have an idea of the "big
part of the above description. As for the "heavy," usually at least
one pound per watt for the early side band units, and 2 or 3 pounds
per watt for plate modulated AM gear. Someone once said that most ham
equipment made before the mid 1960's was made by a subsidiary of
Hernia Incorporated.

Mike Duke, K5XU