From:
Mike Keithley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:44:09 -0800
Well,

yes, I'm referring to normal, narrowband CW.

I have a TS440, and I route the audio through a clear speech DSP box to the audio input jack on my cochlear processor. I don't use a speaker at all unless friends are in the shack. the clear speech box is a nice aid in CW when the signal is fairly steady as it can remove noise to the point where it almost sounds like you're hearing a side tone oscillator.

I got familiar with the TS440 front panel buttons through a combination of reading the manual on my BrailleSense, deduction and help from my sighted wife. I use the ATOM device I build and sell to  make sure the coax is matched.

I started with a straight key, and that's what I still prefer; but I'm learning to use a keyer, but still can't get good CW out of it with speeds above 10 words per minute.

I use the 440's 1KHz filter most of the time but change to the 500 Hertz filter when there's QRM. I like to use the Receiver Incremental Tuning function to get the CW tone exactly where I want it without having to change the transmit frequency.

I sometimes try phone, but it usually takes me time to get used to a voice, and I daresn't talk to, say the JA and JR coming in 20 over S9 and have to say "Da, say that again please, I missed all of that."