From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:57:23 -0600
Though I have never owned one, the Icom 706 was intended primarily to
be a mobile rig. Having operated a few when traveling with friends, I
can say that it works very well in that capacity.

Much has been said in other posts here about the issues of setting the
menus in the 706 independently, but once you get it set up the way you
want it, it's a good rig.

If having CW feedback from the menus and display causes no problem for
you, check out the Elecraft KX1, and watch for the KX3 which should
hit the market early in 2012. The stock KX3 will be a 10 watt output
rig, and is about the size of some of the 2 meter mobiles, perhaps a
little smaller. One of them may have to come and live in my shack.
Elecraft will also be offering a 100 watt external module to use with
it. The KX3 does not cover 2 meters.

Mike Duke, K5XU