From:
Scott Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:00:22 -0500
Hi folks,

I am studying away and hope I can call on you good folks now and then as I try to understand the electronic theory. Ok, so I'll admit that math is not my strong point and I'm sure some believe that Hams should know this stuff really well and I do agree, but nevertheless I'm not going to just memorize stuff. I don't think that will help me much because I do need to understand the "how" and I tend to do better.
So, here is my question.
I'm listening to the Handiham Extra Class lecture and this gent Tony is talking about measuring time constance. I get the general idea, but where I'm a little confused is with capacitance and resistance as it relates to series and parallel circuits.
Of course I should recall from my studies as a Tech and General, but that was a pile of years back and I did not put into practice what I learned. SHould find some breadboard and stuff to play with which probably would help a great deal.
In any case, if you have two capacitors in series equals half the value of one capacitor. SO, if I have this correct and you have two 100 micro farad caps you would actually have just 100 micro farad caps. In other words you add both together and then divide?
For parallel do you just add the two and do not divide?
What about resistors in series? I gather the resistors are doubled, so two one hundred KOhm resistors becomes 200KOhm?
Now of course if anyone has any references that I should review that would be beneficial to my understanding/recollection, please let me know. I unfortunately lost a lot of my notes when I moved and I had taken copious notes on the electrical theory and I wish I still had those.
If any of this made no sense at all just let me know because I probably did not do a good job of explaining things.

73
Scott/N3BYY