From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 05:42:40 -0600
I guess the theory is that on 20 it is a bit long for resonance, which now
looks like a 3/8 wave.  Any antenna used on multiple bands will work
differently on each band.
I am trying to understand at what point the SWR drastically effects the
efficiency of the vertical.  The variables seem to be reflected power and
transmitter shut back when it sees the reflected power.  That can be
eliminated with a tuner, but I don't know if doing that actually delivers
more signal to the antenna or not.  Working with shielded line and a tuner
is new to me.
I am going to try a remote automatic tuner at the base of the antenna.  That
sounds like the best way to go for efficient multi-band operation.  I think
that with coax, the tuned reflected power probably warms the coax rather
than is radiated by the vertical.  It looks like stretching the efficient
use of the antenna from 17 meters to 29.2 for A.M. Phone is asking a lot,
which makes sense to me.