From:
Doug Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:28:28 -0800
Yup, it's a little scary when that happens. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to
rescue yourself, assuming the PFA key is set to the default setting. As you
probably already know, even if the BGS-1 is turned off, pressing PFA will
still red the frequency when pressed. Well, it will also read the current
menu number and value if you press it while in the menu system. So, to fix
this, press the menu key, press PFA, and note where you are. Then rotate the
multi-function key the correct number of clicks, using the PFA key to verify
your location. You are looking for menu 09. Once you are there, press the up
arrow key. VGS-1 will say "on". Then press the menu key to save and exit.

Now that I am familiar with the rig, I leave the VGS-1 turned off most of
the time. I get tired of having the frequency automatically announced
whenever I change bands or enable split.

I haven't tried it, but you could probably place menu 09 in the quick menu
for easier access, should you ever end up with no speech by mistake.

--Doug,AC7t