From:
Gerry Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2011 04:59:33 -0600
Maybe try what my father tried.  He got us kids interested in the things
that he liked as soon as we could talk and think about it.  So I was
camping, playing with cars, building things, and playing with radio before I
was 2 years old.  My brothers and Sister were the same.  We were not super
intellectuals, but we learned hobbies and constructive play early.  That way
when it was his turn to watch us he could do all the things he liked, only
he got to have little ones around him all the time.  I am a member of the
Local children's amateur radio club, and there are many parents who learn
ham radio along with their 5 and 6 year old children.  Last year I got to
work with a 10 year old and her family so that she could give a speech at
the youth forum at the Dayton hamvention.  She chose the topic Disabilities
and amateur radio.  Both she and her 8 year old brother are licensed hams
and they have a lot of radio fun.