From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:04:53 -0500
	This is a good VHF/UHF scanner that can receive P25
trunking systems. It is fairly accessible through a computer and
somewhat less accessible without, but I am working on writing a
Linux-based command-line control program for it.

	I am going to need to copy one of their preloaded
systems in order to figure out what I am setting up wrong in my
program because I haven't got the Motorola trunk tracking system
to work yet and they do have some examples.

	To restore the preloaded systems, one is supposed to
hold down three keys while turning on the power and 2 of them
are easy to find.

	The right 3 columns of keys are mostly like a telephone
dial. Theres the usual 1 2 3 on top, a dot on the 5 and then a
decimal point to the left of 0 and a key named E or Yes to the
right of 0.

	The decimal point is also labeled No.

	There is also a column of function keys to the left of
1, 4, 7 and the decimal.

	Has anybody got a list of the keys and all their extra
functions?

	The third key is referred to as Hold which tells me it
is probably also the Scan key as it is called Scan / Hold in the
documentation, but I am not sure where it is on the key pad.

	I have had this scanner for a year and it works great,
but we are starting to have some P25 activity in our area so I
need to get the trunk-tracking going.

	In case anyone is interested, one can read the menus
from the display. If you look at the display, a bar moves back
and forth to highlight the item you are controlling.

	To read the display, you send a command to the scanner
for that purpose and it sends all the lines in the display. It
puts asterisks to the right of the function you are about to
control so you need to listen carefully with all punctuations
on.

	Also, the scanner beeps when you turn the VFO knob
through a menu and beeps twice when you have returned to the
first item again. Some of the beeps are different pitches so you
can get some feedback directly from the radio but I'd hate to do
anything complex based on just that.

	Anyway, if somebody has a table of all the keys and
their functions, I would greatly appreciate it.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer