From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:09:41 -0700

There is also a great article about depression and mental illness in the fall issue of The Journal of Gluten Sensitivity. It should be available early in October. Just go tohttp://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/ to subscribe.*****I haven't seen any references on the topic, but I can say that feeling extremely depressed and having suicidal thoughts is my first 'clue' (upon waking up in the morning) that I was accidentally glutened. I usually wallow in this pit of depression/and suicidal thoughts for a couple of hours before it 'hits me' .... and I ask myself, OMG, what did I eat yesterday that was contaminated by gluten?
I really really hope that this network sheds light on this topic. I find it very difficult to discuss depression with anyone... So, I am looking forward to you summary.
From my own experience, absolutely yes, tell your relative to try going gluten-free if he/she  easily gets depressed (without having a good reason to be so).
********that is well documented to be true among doctors in this country who are experts in Celiac disease. Check out Dr. Peter H. R. Green''s book: Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic!********I'm not sure about the link between gluten and depression, but from personal experience there is a link between sugary foods and depression.  I learned over the years that candy and other sugary substances used in excess can create depression.  The sugar gives a temporary high and then plunges you into a depression.  I found out that the more sweets I ate, the more depressed I got. Once I limited my sweet intake my depression stopped. Now I'm so much happier.********Mental Illness  can be related to Celiac Disease.  However Mental Illness can come from so many health conditions and it is NOT genetic, although genetics definitely can up the probability of someone being diagnosed with a condition such as Bipolar or Schizophrenia.   I would be more concerned
 about a major depressive episode (suicidal and needs to be hospitalized) rather than just general depression as it relates to CD.  I know a bit about this as I have 2 mental illness diagnoses, one being major depression the other severe PTSD.  There is a 12 bed specialty ward in the province that I live in that specializes in people with mood disorders and then another 10 bed ward that specializes in unique psychiatric conditions – outside of bipolar and schizophrenia.  I have spent multiple months on both wards in the past 10 years.  I know that when someone gets to the Mood Disorders ward – this is after a general hospitalization where they did not resolve the depression that the patient IS tested for CD at that time.  Same with the neuropsychiatric ward too.  When I was in the hospital in October/November of last year there were 4 people on the gluten free diet for a “trial” as they had positive Celiac Blood panel tests (waiting for the
 endoscopy is about 6 months here) to see if going gluten free made a change short term and then me a diagnosed Celiac.  My Celiac Diagnosis was 28 years ago and I received my mental health diagnosis when I was in a traumatic situation 11 years ago – so they are not related to my CD.  So out of 22 patients, 5 of us were eating GF which is a pretty high number! The point is though for all the hospitals in the province, once a person gets to the specialty ward (there is only one) the do check for CD and only if positive put the person on a GF diet to see if there is any change when the person is in the hospital.  I have had several chats with my doctor about this (the one who admitted me) and the risk of putting someone on the GF diet and not doing the biopsy first, however in this case, these are really tough depression or neurological cases and so if they have a positive diagnosis in the blood they do try GF in the clinical setting only where they
 can monitor what the person eats. However it is a horrible place to start a GF diet!  With the rotation diets of a hospital and most stays are at least a month, you do not get many options with your food and as these patients are on a trial they are given no leeway as to being able to order other things and most hate being on the GF diet as they see it as punishment for being depressed. I hope this answers your question and gives you some background on the situation that I have experienced.  I would not recommend putting your friend on a gluten free diet – I would get them help for their depression and a celiac panel test first.********http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research%3A-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders/Depression-and-Celiac-Disease/
********All I can tell you is that once I went on the gf diet for a while, and anxiety and depression that I had left, and stayed away.  My doctors say that I've probably had celiac since I was a child, and I had had the symptoms that I didn't recognize as such for as long as I could remember.  My daughter has recently been confirmed celiac, and she had also been diagnosed with bi-polar.  She now seldom has symptoms of depression, and they are easily treated with distraction and self confidence.  She is not on medication for it, and hasn't been for a long time.I don't know if this will help you (there are always so many variables with this sort of thing), but that's what we have found.********I had great difficulty keeping control of my emotions after being diagnosed
as having CD and before I became strictly GF.  I know now that sacrificing
gluten products helped me immensely.  It was worth doing even in those days
(1980s) before so many GF products were readily available.  It was a
terrible strain on me and my family to experience me go into my bouts that
bordered on insanity.  The gluten definitely had an effect on my depression.********I dont have any articles to share.  Elisabeth Hasselbeck mentions it in her book.Personally I know that I get very depressed if gluten sneaks into my diet.  My DR would have tested for celiac if that had been my only symptom.********This is one of the areas least talked about due to the stigma of mental issues. However, although I don't have written articles to back it up. I know from personal and family relationships, where gluten was instrumental in creating - brain fog, depression, and other mental health issues. They now know that gluten enters the brain. Even now, one of the symptoms my husband and I have if we have been glutened accidentally are feelings of depression.(And we have been gf for 20 years) So I would suggest trying the
gf diet, but it takes months to heal entirely. So be patient, as you already know.********As many issues as celiac disease causes, there are still a lot of problems not caused by celiac disease.
I'd advise your friend to go the doctor.  Depression is caused by malfunctioning brain chemistry.  There are many meds to help.  Finding the right one may take some trial and error, but depression can be helped.********I don't have articles. I just have anecdotal information. I was diagnosed with celiac 10 years ago. My main symptoms were depression and anxiety, which started when I was in my early teens. I went to many doctors for twenty years. Some even recommended anti-depressants, which I refused. In my early thirties, I was diagnosed with "unexplained infertility." Fertility drugs made me even more depressed. I finally decided to see a naturopath to see if there was any connection to food. I noticed sometimes that I felt fuzzyheaded after eating. It was then that my Celiac was discovered. I became pregnant with in a few month of going GF and my depression lifted. For me, the GF diet wasn't a cure all for depression. I had other hormone related
 issues that were factors, but the diet helped quite a bit. I never had any stomach issues before my diagnosis.********Emerging findings suggest that dietary factors play major roles in determining whether the brain ages successfully or experiences a Neurodegenerative disease, (National Institute on Aging, Annals of Internal Medicine,Vol.139,no.5 2003, 441-444)73% of Celiac patients have clinically diagnosed Trait Anxiety Disorder and 63% have clinically diagnosed Depression (American Journal of Medicine Volume 116, March 1, 2004)·         Chronic depression is often a consequence of social phobia and many patients with social phobia initially may present to physicians with depressive symptoms·         The percentage of subjects with social phobia was significantly higher in Celiac Disease patients than in healthy controls (respectively 70% versus 16%)           Scan J Gastro, 2008; 43: 410415Regarding the GS testing, the
 most specific and sensitive marker is Array #3, Antibody - Wheat/Gluten Proteome Sensitivity & Autoimmunity™.  You can read more about the tests at this link.  Also at this link you can read the article titled:  The Conundrum of Gluten Sensitivity - Why the tests are often wrong.http://bit.ly/ndlNzh