From:
Dimitrios Douros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dimitrios Douros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:24:11 -0700

     ... so many people post that through trial and error have
surmised that dairy makes them feel bad, soy makes them feel bad,
eggs make them feel bad, corn makes them feel bad, rice makes
them feel bad, ... so they have removed these things from their diet.
Yet they still feel bad so they look for meds, herbs, ... to make them
feel better. A recent post said the person woke up with stomach
discomfort and queeziness that didn't go away until they ate
something. The person was asking for thoughts on meds or
supplements that could help.

     Without offending anyone, I would like to suggest that because
of our pre-diagnosis discomforts, most of us celiacs may be
excessively sensitive to the minor aches and pains of life. We
ove-react by considering these aches and pains as something
unusual that must be from exposure to something that should
be eliminated from our diet. We then follow that downward
spiral to the point where we are subjecting our bodies to a self
inflicted malnutrition similar to what celiac-caused malabsorption
had us in prior to diagnosis. The small difference being that in
this case it is not malabsorption that is causing the ' ... stomach
discomfort and queezziness that won't go away until we eat
something ... '  but rather the lack of essential nutrients lost by an
unnecessary elimination of too many nutritious, essential foods
from our diet.

     I respectfully propose that western culture, and more specifically
American culture, has put it in our head that if our body does not
feel absolutely perfect every second of our life, there is an easy pill,
herb, supplement, ... that will fix it and greedy capitalism is only too
happy to supply it, for the right price, of course! So we willingly
turn our bodies into 'chemical proving grounds' for cures of dubious
efficacy when all we need to do is stop the self inflicted malnutrition
that we misguidedly slid into.

Regards,
Dimitrios

See the world in proper perspective: www.petersmap.com