Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:55:10 -0500

Hi All~~

Wow, this was a hot topic!! Responses are still trickling in, but not many.
Since so many people are anxious for the summary, I thought I would use the
replies I have now and do another summary later, if necessary. Thanks so
very much to everyone who took the time and energy to offer their knowledge
and assistance! We have such a great group!! If I accidentally omitted
someone's recipe or suggestion, let me know and I'll try to put out another
summary. Thanks to everyone!! ~~Ayn in Kansas
_____
I have not tried this recipe, which I found online.  If you try it, please
give me feedback.

SOY SAUCE (kinda)
Ingredients:

4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dark molasses
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch white pepper
1 pinch garlic powder
1 1/2 cups veggie stock
salt to taste

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the veggie stock, balsamic
vinegar, molasses, ginger, white pepper, garlic powder and salt. Boil gently
until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 15 minutes.

recipe adapted from:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Soy-Sauce-Substitute/Detail.aspx
_____
Coconut Aminos
http://www.vitacost.com/coconut-secret-raw-coconut-aminos/?csrc=gpf-851492002047&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=851492002047

just keep it refrigerated once you open it.  we're allergic to gluten, dairy
and soy and use this with impunity.  I use less of it than the soy a recipe
calls for.
_____
I have not needed to do this but how about a shot of Worcestershire in your
beef broth along with some molasses?  I use Worcestershire to spark things
up these days.  I'm no where near my kitchen so can't look at the
ingredients to see if it contains  something you must avoid.
_____
You didn't say if you had a shellfish allergy, so just in case you don't
I'll recommend Wok Mei All Natural Oyster Flavored Sauce - it contains
water, cane juice, salt, corn starch, caramel color, natural oyster extract,
and distilled vinegar.
_____
Does that group include fish as well?  Fish sauce makes a pretty good
substitute for soy sauce -- and is also pretty much what authentic
Vietnamese and Thai cuisines use ALWAYS, and not soy sauce.  (But I'm
guessing fish is on your list.)  If you do use it, use judiciously -- it
doesn't taste fishy unless you use too much.
_____
The only sub I know that would leave out soy is the imitation soy sauce that
is made for Passover. Not sure where to buy it this time of year  and it is
totally fake stuff. I have never used it so cannot tell you if it is even ok
when used in a recipe. I have heard that as a dipping sauce it is awful.
_____
For a soy-allergic celiac, we use a mix of good quality balsamic vinegar,
salt, and a dash of raw sugar to make a sauce. Good balsamic is made from
grapes, not grain.
_____
http://byebyegluten.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-soy-free-soy-sauce.html
[Review of Coconut Aminos]
_____
This is a real long-shot, but when I travelled in Australia two years ago I
saw a gluten-free version of Vegemite in one of the major supermarket chains
(Cole's, I think).  If you're not familiar with Vegemite, you can read more
about it on Wikipedia.  If you're lucky you might be able to find a website
for this gluten-free product listing the ingredients.
_____
I have the same problems. I mix molasses, rice vinegar, a little ginger, and
use that. If you can tolerate garlic, add a tiny bit of garlic to taste. I
add a little sea salt or Himalayan salt, since soy sauce is salty, but not
too much. Just do everything to taste. Isn't the same taste, but is a good
taste that is compatible with oriental veggies.
_____
My husband does exactly that... makes a reduction of beef stock. We usually
have it with chicken and broccoli. It kind of reminds me of General Tso's
chicken, a thick, glossy, sticky, "umami" flavored sauce. It is not exactly
like soy sauce, but it is delicious! He doesn't exactly have a recipe; he
just reduces the stock until it reaches the desired thickness and then
tastes it and adjusts the flavorings with a little honey, salt and red
pepper. I'm interested to see what others do!
_____
I , too, limit my use of soy so I find fish sauce to be a good alternative
to soy sauce.  It is available in mainstream grocery stores, is inexpensive,
but is high in sodium.  I think of it as a "less is more" ingredient...a
little goes a long way.  But I would encourage you to try it, unless you
also have trouble with fish.
_____
Are the ingredients in fish sauce also on the list?  Am not really familiar
with them, except for the fact that shellfish is a biggie, since only the
wheat bothers me personally.  I think it's only fermented fish and salt.
 Look at GF boullion, I think the brand is Herb Ox.  I use it a lot to add
flavor, in both chicken and beef flavor.   Good luck!
_____
When I helped someone with the same problem we used very strong beef
bouillon and a little molasses.  You can test it by using one cube, a
tablespoon  of hot water and a 1/2 teaspoon of molasses and go one from
there. We used some seasoning salt also that she had bought at Dollar Tree
but I do not know if it would be GF. She has moved and I have lost touch
with her so I cannot check to see what she did end up with.

I should have said we made such a small amount because we were thinking of
it as experimenting. When she went home to make more she planned on storing
it in the refrigerator.
_____
I was thinking about using it as a base for a gf soy sauce substitute.  I
would use the following ingredients:

chicken or beef broth (chicken's my fave)
balsamic vinegar
dark molasses or dark agave syrup (very little)
ground ginger (use sparingly or it will end up tasting like teriyaki sauce
onion powder
garlic powder
white pepper (because it is finer than black, not as strong and you cannot
see it in the sauce)
a tiny bit of oil
water, as needed to taste
_____
I had a recipe many years back when my son was off of soy - main ingredient
was molasses...it was very good.
_____
If you're not a vegetarian, I have found this recipe:

*SOY** **SAUCE** SUB

2 cups beef broth
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp molassas
1/8 tsp ground ginger
dash of pepper/onoin powder/garlic powder

Boil down to 1/2 a cup.*

I'm celiac and am lactose intolerant and have an onion intolerance, and I
have a roommate who is vegetarian, and another roommate who is Gluten Free,
Soy Free, and Mushroom Free, so it makes group meals very exciting. I've
only tried the above recipe so far with veggie broth because of that, and it
didn't work out so well, but I think using real beef broth would work
better.
_____
A small amount of balsamic vinegar can often take the place of soy sauce in
recipes.
_____
Try this:
8 ounces balsamic vinegar
2 Tblsp molasses
1/4 cup beef broth
few dashes garlic powder

This is pretty tasty even if you don't have to avoid soy.  Good luck!
_____
I found these ideas. I hope one of them will help you:

http://byebyegluten.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-soy-free-soy-sauce.html

http://wickedgooddinner.blogspot.com/2011/03/soy-free-soy-sauce.html
_____