From:
Gerry Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2011 09:44:15 -0700
Soldering is different for everyone.  I have been blind all of my life.  I
was a professional car mechanic for 40 years.  When my fingers worked well I
could solder some larger connections such as quarter inch phone jacks and
the cables also.  I could do the center of a PL259, but I wasn't good with
the shield.  I used a pair of vicegrips mounted to a board as a clamp so
that I could use two hands to slaughter I mean solder.  My soldering wasn't
pretty, and I could only do it if there was a lot of room.  I used a weller
solddering I mean slodering gun because the tip would cool quickly.  I had a
lot of help learning to do this from my Father, so I didn't do it from the
beginning alone.  Now I have very little feeling in my finger tips so I can
burn myself with out knowing it.