From:
Patrick Tice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 17:00:22 -0600
Greetings, Listers!

I've been away from the list for a while, mostly depending on the list
archives to help me answer questions Handiham members ask me.  Now I'm back
again because I want to bring forward a troubling new development. We all
know that we are on the cusp of a major change in the publishing world.
While digital publication can greatly enhance accessibility to blind
computer users, we cannot necessarily assume that new publishing formats
will necessarily be compliant with accepted accessibility standards.  To
illustrate this, I am pasting the following message that I received from the
Zinio Support folks, then I will fill you in a bit more.  Here is the
e-mail:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

Unfortunately Zinio publications are not compatible with screen readers, we
apologize for the inconvenience.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Eric Folsom
Zinio Customer Support

Okay, this is pretty much what I suspected because I was unable to highlight
any text in the Zinio Reader, and the browser-based version gave similar
results.  However, the publications Zinio supports are searchable for
keywords, so there must be some sort of embedded text underlying the
graphical text presentation.  I am by no means a screenreader user myself
since I can see the pages, but NVDA hadn't a clue as to the main body text
in any of the pages when tested with Worldradio Online Magazine, which does
use the Zinio system along with CQ and many other magazines.  The Zinio
Reader does include easy to use font resizing, but the lack of screenreader
support is troubling.

As I said, we are going to find more and more publications on line in the
coming years, most sooner rather than later.  In the January 2012 QST there
is a mention of the anticipated mid-year rollout of a digital version of
QST.  I want to emphasize that I have no information on which publishing
platform ARRL will be using and whether it will be screenreader accessible,
but it is painfully apparent that inaccessible design can be carried forward
into the new publishing medium.  This is shown clearly in the step backwards
from Worldradio Online in PDF with embedded text several issues ago prior to
the change to the Zinio Reader versus the current "apologize for the
inconvenience" situation we have now.

I don't fault the Worldradio Online people for this - they are simply using
an on line publishing company.  And in fair disclosure, I do write the "With
the Handihams" column that appears regularly in WR.  But I think that any
company that delivers online media, especially digital print publications
for heaven's sake, should be able to provide screenreader access.

Can we start a civil discussion about this, and put together some kind of
informational message and action plan about what should be expected
regarding accessibility?  I know that the ADA does not necessarily require
accessibility, but we all know that it is the right thing to do, and that it
is also not a good business plan to exclude potential readers.

73,
Pat

Regards,

Patrick Tice, M.A. | Manager, Courage Handiham System | PH: 763.520.0511 |
Courage Center | 3915 Golden Valley Road | Golden Valley, MN 55422

[log in to unmask] | CourageCenter.org

---

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
contains

confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure,
copy or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail.