From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 01:14:11 -0700
welcome Peter.
I am finding it fascinating that allot of older folks, dare I say seniors,
are getting into amateur radio.
I think this is really awesome.
I've heard several guys in the past couple weeks on HF who were either
retired, or very close to it, who just recently obtained their ham tickets.
One Lawyer from the state of Georgia was on 20 meters last week, and at 69
he decided to get his ham license and get on HF.
It's quite a reversal to hear an older guy on the air who is obviously a
newbie and asking the younger guys questions hi.
During this past weekends sweep stakes contest, where you give the year that
you were first licensed, it was cool to note that many many of the stations
were giving years within the past 5.  And of course, just as interesting to
note some that had been licensed since the 40's or earlier.
Ham radio is definitely not dying out in any way shape or form, just the
methods and ways of communicating between hams has perhaps changed a little.

73
Colin, V A6BS