From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:08:01 -0500
I didn't read the website, so don't know what he said.  I think Butch and I
are agreeing more than I initially thought.

If a load resistor has the same impedance as the transmission line (like a
50-ohm dummy load connected through 52-ohm Coax, the SWR will be 1:1
regardless of the length of coax.  If the 50-ohm resistor was connected
through a 72-ohm transmission line, however, the SWR (using a bridge
designed for the 72-ohm characteristic impedance) would be 1.4:1 for any
length, with 50 ohms at any multiple of a half-wavelength from the dummy
load, and about 100 ohms for any odd multiple of a quarter wavelength, and
mixtures of resistance and reactance for intermediate points.  The point is
that SWR remains constant along a transmission line if that line is
lossless, but the actual amount of voltage and current and their phase
relationships change along the length of the transmission line.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls