From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 03:42:25 -0800
You only got part of the story.  TIn theory a half wave is good, but not
not at all necessary.  A quarter wave is a no no.  Formula is wrong!!!
The 468 comes into play for antennas because of a 5 percent end effect
for calculating coax stubs and such, use 492 for a true half wave, and
multiply times volocity factor, usually .70 is close enough unless it is
foam which I wouldn't recommend anyhow.  If you really want to know what
the swr at the antenna is, check at the feed point.  Also, put a dummy
load at the end of the coax instead of the antenna.  I have a similar
problem with my 160 windom antenna, nothing I've tried seems to change
much.  Swr is good on 80, not so good on 40and so forth, but it tunes
and works!!!
73
Butch
WA0VJR