From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:28:51 -0500
Hi, folks.

Well, I have managed to get hold of an MFJ 259B antenna analyzer to help try
to figure out what is going on with my 80 meter and 160 meter sloper
antennas that we put up a few weeks ago.

However, when taking some preliminary readings with the analyzer tonight,
and comparing them against what my TW1 watt meter and the SWR meter on the
TS590 say, I am getting very confusing results.

Let me give a few examples:

On 80 meters, my sloper has an SWR of about 5 to 1 on the top and bottom of
80 meters, with a dip of 1.0 to 1 around 3.887 mhz.  But, when we put the
analyzer on the antenna, it shows the lowest SWR to be about 1.3 to 1 at
3.887 MHZ, but the SWR's skyrockets quickly on either side of that null to
infinity on the lowest part of the band, and to over 8.1 to 1 on the top of
the band.

With my 160 meter sloper, my lowest SWR is about 5 to 1 at the very bottom
of the band, according both to my TW1 and the TS590 SWR meter, but the
needle on the analyzer doesn't even budge when tuning through the entire
band, and stays up at some ungodly figure of an SWR of about 20 to 1.

I just checked for a short  on my coax feed lines, and there does not appear
to be any problem there.

We are using fresh batteries in the analyzer which were just bought tonight.

Are we perhaps not adjusting the analyzer correctly?

I am sure that, to some, all of this seems very elementary, so please bare
with me while I do some learning here.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ