From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 21:17:43 -0500
I'm not sure that having a ground plane ground mounted is necessarily a
bad thing.   When I got my ticket in the 80's, an  old ham who was
helping me get started showed up one day with a home brew 10 meter
ground plane.

It was made of 5 lengths of 1/2 electrical conduit.  4 pieces were
attached to a 4 inch metal junction box as radials and the 5th piece was
the vertical, insulated from the metal box with a piece of Lexan or
something.

It sat flat on the ground in a pretty poor location (10 feet from a 4
foot retaining wall with chain link fence on top, and  12 feet from a
large car).  I worked the world with it,  including getting through a
pile-up to Easter Island.

Good luck in getting  things sorted out,
Steve KW3A