From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:05:10 -0500
For those list members who read Bob Gunderson's Braille Technical
Press, do you remember the advertisement for Grand Central Industries?

One of the items this company sold was a brand of solid state gadgets
such as very low power audio amplifiers, AM broadcast band part 15
transmitters, etc. The manufacturer was Round Hill Industries.

This was long before single chip circuits. These devices were
assembled from individual components, and then fully sealed in epoxy,
with bare wires protruding from the edges for connection to the power
sourse, speakers, etc.

They were literally the size of an ice cube, which for the late
1960's, was indeed minuscule. While I never confirmed it other than by
hearsay, someone told me that the company did in fact use ice trays as
the mold for the sealed units.

One of the gadgets this company made was a "CW Monitor." The purpose
of this monitor was to provide the side tone which we now take for
granted, but which did not come with most rigs of the day, and was an
add on option for only a few transceivers.
You connected two wires to a small speaker, two others to a single D
cell, and another to a few feet of hook up wire, which served as the
antenna.

Then, when you transmitted CW, the thing would squawk, thus giving you
a means of monitoring what you were sending.

Yesterday, I discovered a box of odds and ends left from the equipment
of my late friend, K5ZFM.

In the bottom of that box was one of the Round Hill CW Monitor
modules, still attached to an old portable radio speaker and battery
holder. I will clean it up and try it out later this week.

The one that I bought on his advice as a Novice in 1969 gave up the
ghost many years ago.

Mike Duke, K5XU