From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:44:20 -0600
I would suspect it is likely the only road block at this point.
They have shown that they have the design and implimentation knowledge to
make the radio...so they probably have thousands of them sitting in a
warehouse in china, waiting for the FCC approval sticker to be slapped on so
they can export to the United states and expect to sell a bunch.
In canada, if you have an advanced class license, you do not need industry
canada approval to operate an amateur transmitter...so no approval is
necesary to operate radios that don't have one approval or another out of
china.
However, the US requires that imported transmitters must meet FCC approval
weather they are for amateur use or not, so wouxun, or who ever their parent
company is, likely wants to have FCC approval before exporting to their
largest selling market.
The red tape is probably absolutely horrendous.  And i would imagine that
kenwood, Icom and Yaesu have their special interest representatives muddying
the waters as well.

73
Colin, V A 6BS