From:
Albert Sanchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:42:12 -0400
Hello List
Just a quick note to let you know that we made it through hurricane Irene
without problems here in Greenville NC. Greenville NC is about 70 miles
inland from the coast of Eastern North Carolina. It started raining here
around 19:00 PDT local time on Friday evening and did not stop until 20:00
PDT Saturday evening. At one point we had wind around 40 MPH and gusts up to
as high as 70 MPH. Our power dropped out several times on Saturday afternoon
around 14:00 PDT but was only off for about 10 minutes. There have been many
trees fall and much flooding so that many thousands of people have lost
power in the area but, again, we have been extremely fortunate in that
regard. Our cable TV and highspeed internet and email was down for about 24
hours.

I put the newly acquired TM-V71A to work on Saturday; our local Brightleaf
Amateur Radio Club has an active ARES affiliation and our net was activated
at 07:00 on Saturday providing communication service between three shelters,
the red cross and the Greenville and Pitt County Emergency Operations
Centers (EOC(s) I was assistant Net Control for about 14 hours.

Best 73's
Albert Sanchez WA7FXB
and
Gerrie Sanchez KJ4DMV