From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:08:19 -0700

Dear Listmates ,

Many, many thanks to this listserve & Olivia for the alert about Synthroid no longer being guaranteed gluten free & Lin for reminding us how we can check the status of prescription drugs online .

I was extremely annoyed that the manufacturer, Abbott Labs, didn't see fit to send out an alert to pharmacies and doctors (in Canada) as they probably would have if they could no longer guarantee the product was nut, soy or egg free, for instance.

I also discovered that my main doctor's practice partner seemed to think that since I'd been on the drug for a number of years with no celiac reaction (which she thinks is stomach upset), why not stay on Synthroid . Needless to say, her lack of knowledge was shocking. She also mentioned that since my last colonoscopy came back "normal" I obviously wasn't having a gluten reaction. Huh????? Viewing the colon for signs of pre-cancer and having a lower bowel biopsy looking for signs of celiac disease in someone who tries very, very hard to ingest no gluten, ever are not exactly synonymous.

Have no fear, listmates , I will definitely set her straight, and have already begun doing so. It is ironic to me that I pay extra to belong to a private healthcare consortium, in order to get better medical care, and in this case I have had to do more advocating than I would have ever guessed would be necessary.

I've a new thyroid prescription waiting to be picked up - Eltroxin.

Cheers!
Helen

*******
*******