From:
Nancy Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 21:55:50 -0700

Thank you for the following suggestions to my inquiry of 2011 Apr 19.
Nancy

LYNN: We found Greece to be fairly
easy - there is a lot of grilled meat and fish, generally
served
with fries and/or rice, and there are beautiful salads.  For
breakfast you can get
lovely
greek yogurt (plain) and add fruit and honey. Avoid the hamburgers -
even if you
get
without bun, they are not gf – they typically make them with bread
crumbs ("rusk")
similar
to our preparation of meatloaf.
SARAH: I
have been to Greece twice, once as a diagnosed celiac, and am
returning this
summer.
I've found everyone in Greece very accommodating but have found it
helpful to
have
someone there who can tell chefs/restaurants about your condition.
“Celiac” isn't
hugely
popular in Greece and you're better off, in my experience, saying
that you are
“allergic
to wheat, bread, and/or flour”. This is enough to get people to
accommodate
you
usually.  Hospitality is HUGE in Greece so there's no sense to say “a
little would be ok”.

That being said, rice is pretty
popular in Greece and  vegetables and unfried meats in
abundance.
Stay away from Moussaka, saganaki, or most desserts. Salads almost
never
ever have croutons. Dressing is mostly olive oil/vinegars (red wine
or balsamic).
Greek
grape leaf wraps of rice, Dolmates/dolmas and dolmathakia (with meat)
are
usually
safe and I love them, so i tend to live on them.  The sauce is
egg and lemon
and
not usually made with flour.

One thing to be aware of is that
Street Food is OFTEN served with pieces of bread.
Souvlaki
(the Greek equivalent of kabobs- meat on a stick) is great, but is
usually served
on
a few pieces of bread. Ask for it without bread.  I love getting
roasted corn on the cob,
roasted
nuts (salted), and cart seafood on the street.

Beware the
risotto- its a popular dish (they love Italian food in Greece) and I
had some
troubles
with it. Risotto has rice prepared with other ingredients.   Simple fresh foods types of food

is GREAT in Greece- stick
with it.The
vegetables are amazing.

English is also abundant in the
tourist industry so with a little help from a kind stranger
or
a hotel rep, you can go far. Hotels and restaurants may recognize the
French
"sans
gluten" phrase from international tourism.
NED: My wife was born in Greece and
we have traveled there a number of times.
Although her Greek (her first language)  would
make dealing with restaurants
and stores easy, we have found that a great majority
of younger Greeks speak
English as it is a required subject in school.

 Restaurant cardsfor
traveling http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html.

 Greeklanguage text from that site http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/greek/

NANCY:We traveled to Greece for a couple of weeks last summer.  We
took Greek
restaurant
cardswhich were helpful in smaller restaurants where the English is
not
as good.  We ate Greek salads (delicious), pork chops, rice,
chicken, fish, fresh
fruit
and veggies, and eggs, bacon and Greek yogurt for breakfast.
They do not cook
with
as much flour as we do.  We were able to get chocolate bars
for snacks.  One
could
take a couple boxes of GF cereal along.  I think we took some
peanut butter
and
GF bagels for a few breakfasts.  (I think we were able to find
in grocery stores

some
Gf bread and crackers.)  Thessaloniki is a little larger
city so he should do well.

T.M.:I
did quite a bit of research about Greece and found out that celiac is
not well
known in that
country as their Mediterranean diet is actually a fairly low gluten
one
compared to a
typical Western diet. The larger areas have health food stores that
stock mostly
imported gf replacement items; this is mostly to accommodate
tourists,
not their own
people. Everyone that's been there agrees that it's easy to eat out
gf,
though no one
offered gf bread or pasta to us.
Your
son should learn the Greek words for wheat, rye and barley as gluten
is not a
common
word in Greece. You can go to Translate.Google.com  and use their
tool.
Put
your English words in one box and translate them to the language of
your
choice.  Use the LISTEN button to hear the proper pronunciation.
Wheat	       rye           barley
από         			σιτάρι     		βρώμη

*******
*******