From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:50:58 -0400

Just some advice...

With summer travel or kids headed to college, we're seeing many requests for recommendations for where to eat.   Years ago, we weren't allowed to do this on the listserv.  We were directed to contact the local support group, which isn't a bad idea.   But I'm guilty, I like to write to the list directly,  because the recommendations are more personal.  That being said,  with the internet, it's easy to google gluten free restaurants and the name of the city or town.  You can also google gluten-free meals or gluten-free groceries.  Stuff will come up.

And...there are some really good sites that I rely on..... Here are my favorites...Yes, there are others.  These  just happen to be the ones I use.

www.glutenfreeregistry.com (my favorite)

http://www.gluten.net/find-a-restaurant.aspx   From Gluten Intolerance Group

glutenfreephilly.com (for PA, NJ--including the shore, DE)

www.stillridingpizza.com  for restaurants that carry their brand of pizza and sometimes pasta  (But I always call to find out if the restaurant adheres to protocol.  If I have access to a safe oven at someone's home or in my hotel room, I have the restaurant prep the pizza and take it out to bake it.  I'm still not happy about my pizza going in with gluten.  Don't beat me up. It's just my thing.  But I love this pizza product.)

I downloaded some apps, but don't bother using them.  Listmates asked me to summarize, but there was not much to recommend.  (This was months ago.)  I use glutenfreeregistry.com all the time....and if you have an iPad, you can open the website and save an icon to desktop, that functions exactly like an app, without the glitches.

If you have a voice activated google command on your phone.....try just saying gluten-free meals or something like that.  I've sometimes done it while stuck in traffic somewhere, just for the heck of it (when I'm not driving!), and I'm surprised at what comes up.  I found a small, Italian restaurant off the beaten path in State Island NY last year, while stuck in traffic,. It was maybe a week after the  posted gluten-free meals on the internet.  His toddler was just diagnosed. It was a treasure.  (I think it was called JImmie Max's.)

Happy travels.

Lin